‘People and Power’ in the World of Sport
Content: In this category you need to look at People and Power in respect of a sportsperson, a particular sport, or sport in general. You could look at ancient, medieval or modern examples drawn from anywhere in the world.
Other Special Requirements: N/A
You could consider the role of individual sportspeople, administrators, governments, scientists, and/or new technologies to improve performance and community health.
Some possible areas of research might include:
- Could victory in sport be used as an instrument of ‘power’?
- To what lengths will people or governments go in order to win?
- How may participation in sport be viewed as a symbol of power?
- Have some people been able to use success in sport to create ‘power’ outside the sport itself?
- Can there be a cost: personal, social or political?